Thursday, June 2, 2011

Houston: Part Uno!

Let me go ahead and preface any traveling stories with this: I am terrified of flying. I can be very calm in the airport but as soon as I board the plane, I tend to start crying and clutching my blankie. Luckily, I had Christopher to calm my down this time... it's a little more awkward when I'm crying with a stranger next to me.

So Wednesday morning when we go to check-in online before heading to the airport, we find out our flight is delayed from Augusta to Atlanta. Ugh. Another reason I hate flying. This leaves us approximately 15 minutes to make our connecting flight. Oh wait.... federal regulations says every passenger must be on board the plane 15 minutes before take off. So basically we have no hope before we even leave Augusta.

Fast-forward a couple hours and we land in Atlanta where I dash off the plane and to ask the lady at the desk to call our gate (of course we couldn't be in the same terminal, that would be too easy). After a discussion, she tells us to run and we might make it. So we became those people, sprinting through the Atlanta airport, dodging all the people walking, only to miss our plane by one minute. Seriously????

So fast-forward three hours until the next flight leaves for Houston. We were promised first class seats when we missed the connection, and then got reassigned seats that were definitely not in first class. Rude, Delta.

our sweet little set-up in the airport

ready to get to Houston!
Luckily, Houston is in the central time zone. So we finally arrived in the great land of Texas around 8:30 their time and met Sarey in the airport and headed to El Tiempo for the best fajitas I have ever had!!

deliciousness

for anyone who knows me - obviously this is Christopher's fajita... mine had a few less ingredients.
Sara had to work the next morning so Christopher and I casually walked hiked in the 90 degree heat down to Rice Village for shopping and lunch!!

yummy grilled ranch chicken sandwich on a jalapeno cheese bun!

chipotle chicken salad sandwich for C!
After lunch we headed back to Sara's apartment for a little relaxing by the pool until she came home from work.

little bit of paradise

Sara and her beloved puppy Jefferson!
On the way to dinner we got a quick tour of Houston where we saw...

the Houston Texans stadium!

Sara's work!

sweet medical buildings built to look like syringes.

and the best street in Houston
Dinner that night was at Zushi, a sushi restaurant (if you couldn't guess), and it was fantastic! It was the perfect ending to a wonderful first day in Texas!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the rest of the trip!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy those Torys, my teacher friend. You wil be the best dressed teacher in Georgia. The irony of the college student getting a real job is that they realize that they can not afford the clothes/shoes/purses that have been subsidized by their parents! Hope TX was fb.

    ReplyDelete